What is GoToTraining?
GoToTraining is a tool for remote training enabling instructors and learners to interact in a virtual classroom. A common solution for Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT), GoToTraining creates a virtual training environment for hundreds of students and includes features such as breakout rooms and live polls.
What is the GoToTraining integration?
The GoToTraining integration leverages Administrate's Add-ons system, which allows a user to click a button in the TMS and "push" event, sessions, students, and other details to an external system.
With GoToTraining, this integration automates setting up GoToTraining events, sessions and students, using existing information in the Administrate TMS. A walkthrough can be found in the attached PowerPoint file.
- You will need an account in GoToTraining with Administrator privileges.
- If you have more than one GoToTraining Organizer account for your organisation, you will want to allow Co-Organizers on your trainings. To do this, after logging into GoToTraining:
- Go to Admin Center.
- Select Admin Settings from menu at left.
- Click Edit at Content Sharing.
- Select Enabled radio button.
- Click Save.
Administrate TMS Configuration
If you are ready to turn on the GoToTraining integration, simply contact Support. They will enable the integration for you, and will ask for a couple pieces of information, like the GoToTraining Administrator credentials above, and the Administrate API credentials you will use. Note that whichever GoToTraining account you used to set up the integration will be the Organizer on all scheduled trainings. Co-Organizers will be added according to the personnel on the Administrate event who will also have access to start the training. When this is done, you will notice a new button under the "Add-ons" menu in the Events screen called "Sync with GoToTraining". This is the button you will use to sync relevant event and student details.
Using your integration
1. Create your Event. If you want a Co-Organizer added other than the user which is used as the primary Organizer in this integration, add an Administrator or Instructor which has the same email address as the GoToTraining user whom you wish to be the Co-Organizer.
2. Click "Sync with GoToTraining". Your GoToTraining event will be automatically created using the details from your Administrate event including a session schedule matching your session dates in Administrate. Any personnel from the Administrate event with a GoToTraining account will be added as a Co-Organizer in GoToTraining so that they can start the training at the time of the event. When you refresh the screen, you will see the URL and the passcode for the Organizer of the GoToTraining Event appear in the external notes field.
3. Register students.
4. Click "Sync with GoToTraining". This will add any newly registered students to the GoToTraining event from your Administrate registrations. Each student will receive a unique GoToTraining URL in the student's notes field. These can be used in Communications triggers but will only be available after the event has been synced with GoToTraining since each student login is unique.
5. Teach your course! Your instructor and students will log into GoToTraining when the class opens and enjoy all the great virtual training features GoToTraining has to offer!
6. Remember, if any other details change, like the event dates, title, the instructor, or the students, just click "Sync with GoToTraining" again, and both systems will stay in sync.
What should I check if I encounter an error when syncing?
- Co-Organizer Setting
- In order to add a Co-Organizer, the setting to enable Co-Organizers must be turned on within GoToTraining. Follow the GoToTraining Configuration steps in the Setup section above.
- Instructors / Administrators
- At least one one instructor or administrator must be specified on the event and their email address in the TMS must match their GoToMeeting username.
- Event Sessions
- The Event must have at least one session, as the dates for the GoToTraining are created for each session.
- The Event must not have more than twenty-five sessions, which is the maximum limit allowed by GoToTraining.
- By extension, this also means that only Classroom and Blended events are supported, but Self Paced (LMS) events are not.
- Event Dates
- The Event date needs to be scheduled in the future, if it’s the first time you’ve performed the sync.
- Note that GoToTraining will not allow you to schedule training later than one year from today (inclusive of the end date).
- Number of Students
- Check to see if the number of students on the Event in Administrate exceeds your GoToTraining class size limit.
- Student Contact Details
- Check that all the students have an email address. GoToTraining will require an email address for each student.
All my training times are in GMT, can I change the time zone?
Yes, the integration will default to GMT if you are not using Administrate's time zone functionality. If you would like to turn this on, contact support. If time zones are set in Administrate, they will be sent to GoToTraining as part of the session schedule.