Credit Notes can be used to issue/receive credit for your sales or purchase invoices for either the full amount or part amount of the goods and services listed on the invoice. Only once a credit note is created may a refund be sent/received.
You can create a credit note from the Sales Invoice or Purchase Invoice screen.
- Open the Sales Invoice or Purchase Invoice from the sales/purchase ledger, event screen or customer/supplier account screen.
- In the actions section click ‘Create Credit Note’.
- Your credit note has been created. Note: If the credit note is not for the full value of the invoice then follow the steps to ‘Edit a Credit Note’ then complete the remainder of the steps here.
- Return to the accounts financial tab by clicking on the account name. Note: If you wish to make a refund follow the steps to ‘Create a Refund’ then complete the remainder of the steps here.
- Allocate the remaining value of the credit note after any refunds have been completed by clicking ‘Allocate Credit Note’.
- Select the Credit Note, corresponding invoice and the amount on the credit note that you wish to allocate against your chosen invoice.
- Click ‘Save Changes’ to complete the process.
You can edit the credit note to change the value of each item credited in addition to the credit note details such as the tax point and comments.
- Open the Credit Note from the sales/purchase ledger or customer/supplier account screen.
- Edit the credit note details e.g tax point, comments, by clicking in the field you wish to change.
- Click ‘Save Changes’.
- If you are only crediting part of the invoice then adjust each item contained on the credit note by clicking on the pencil icon. Change the amount to correspond with the amount you wish to credit prior to tax.
- Click ‘Save’.
- Open the credit note from the customer/supplier account, sales or purchase ledger.
- Click ‘Delete’.
If you repeatedly create credit notes for the same customer/supplier for the same or similar goods you can use the clone credit note function. This will create a new credit note yet copy all details and items from the cloned credit note.
- In the actions section click ‘Clone Credit Note’.
- Enter the new Tax Point and click ‘Save Changes’
Note: the Clone Credit Note function is not available where items from a public event registration are present.
To print a credit note relating to a sales invoice to post to a customer or for your own records:
- Open the credit note from the customers account or sales ledger by clicking on the credit note number.
- In the top right where it says ‘View As’ select the format that you require (we recommend PDF Invoice) and click ‘Load’.
- The credit note will load in your PDF reader. Use the print function within or press CTRL+P.
When choosing to email a credit note the credit note is attached as a PDF to a pre-defined email template. To configure this template please see our User Emails in the System Emails section.
Before emailing a credit note please ensure at least one contact is present within the account that you are crediting and that they have a valid email address.
- In the actions section click ‘Email Invoice’.
- Select the email template that you require.
- Select the contact you wish to send the invoice to.
- If required edit the template before sending or upload additional attachments.
- Select Email Credit Note.
A record that the email has been sent is contained in the Sales Statement of the recipients account screen.