EU Digital Services Taxes
We hate disclaimers, but we’re also not accountants! Nothing within this page should be construed or interpreted as accounting advice. We consulted with chartered accountants when building this feature, but you need to make yourself aware of the regulations!
If your training operation is based in the European Union, you may be aware of the EU Value Added Tax (VAT) regulation changes that went into effect January 1, 2015. Put simply, VAT rules were changed to make the supplier of digital services (from a business to a consumer) responsible for accounting for the applicable VAT rate to the tax authority of the consumer’s member state. If you’re still confused, check out the UK guidance on this matter or consult your accountant!
This function only applies to online orders that come through Weblink and the WordPress Plugin .
The rates and countries preloaded are from March 2015, however please make sure you review this for accuracy as it’s your responsibility to make sure you’re collecting the right VAT from the right EU member state.
Please click on the section you need assistance with:
Activate EU Taxes
There are two steps to activating EU taxes for online courses:
- Activate EU Taxes
- Activate it on the Events that require it
1. Click Yes to ‘Enable list of EU countries and applicable digital services tax rates’ to activate this function. Whenever you activate or disable this function, you will be asked to confirm your setting. Click OK to continue.
2. Once this has been activated, it won’t be be applied to all Events by default: you must apply it to the Events that require it, manually. To do this, go into an Event, edit it, and you will see Apply EU Digital Goods Taxable.
Now, when orders through Weblink and WordPress are invoiced, Administrate will apply the corresponding VAT rate to a customer’s billing address.
Add a Country
Should there be more countries that become EU members, or if you need this function to provide custom tax for another country, you can do this through adding a country.
- Click on the green +Add button, this will open a dialog box.
- Enter or select the Country required.
- Enter the Tax Label.
- Enter the rate in %.
- Enter the Nominal Account for this tax.
Your new Country will now be shown as created on the table of Countries.
Edit a Country
Each country’s values can be edited, except for the name of the country, as these are fixed.
- Click on the row of the Country you wish to edit, this will open a dialog box.
- Make your desired changes.
- Click Save.
Your Country will now be updated with the updated information on the table of Countries.
Delete a Country
- Click on the row of the Country you wish to delete, this will open a dialog box.
- Click on the red Delete button, this will open a confirmation dialog box.
- Confirm with OK (or Cancel if you don’t wish to continue with the deletion).
Your Country will now be shown as removed from the table of Countries.
Article is closed for comments.