BETA - this feature is currently in beta and we are receiving feedback on it. Please contact the support team to start using this feature. Please also pay close attention to the FAQ section which is regularly updated.
What is Pay By Tokens
Pay by Tokens is a feature that allows your students to register onto events using pre-paid Tokens sold at the Account level. Let’s take a scenario to play this out:
ACME Training Corp is a Training Company. It does large simulation training on a number of software platforms and very expensive, industry standard machinery.
They have 2 main modes of revenue.
- One is B2C ‘bums on seats’. Any person from the public can visit their website and purchase training.
- The other is their B2B model where they sell large batches of tokens to Companies who frequently take their training. Their customer’s employees then consume these tokens within the allotted time period.
The B2C model is completely self-serve. They allow payment by Credit Card and so it takes minimal involvement from the training team.
Their B2B model does require intervention. After selling the tokens, their customer has to call them or email with a list of registrations and a request on the account balance. This happens a couple of times per week per client. But no more!
With the Pay By Tokens feature, their B2B model is now self-serve. Having sold their tokens, they can assign people who are eligible under that account to checkout using tokens and make the student fully autonomous.
Note: this currently only works in the Student Portal in either the self-registration flow or if you have a Booking Portal configured. If you are using hosted weblink or widgets embedded in your website, this flow is not supported.
Prerequisites & Information
- Make sure you are comfortable with our Token solution
- Ensure your event or learning path has a Token price on it
- Currently we only support one type of token per event when using this feature. If you have multiple token types on your events, it will select the first one
- Ensure the contacts you add are eligible to check out with tokens and draw from the overall Account balance
Enable the functionality
This can be done by going to the Control Panel --> Training Tokens --> Settings
then set the "Enable Token Issues to be Considered as Independent Balances" = YES
Create the token types
Add tokens to account (through sales opps is preferred flow)
Note that it is possible to automate the sales of training tokens from your Sales software using our API. This means your account balances will always be up to date.
These are contacts who will receive communications about token usage and see the balance associated with the tokens in the portal
Configure Communication Triggers
Set up your communication triggers to send comms to the ‘training tokens contacts’ who can then receive updates if Tokens were Issued, Redeemed, Expired or if the Expiry was updated. You can also have a communication set to notify you when the contacts have been updated.
Contact logs into LMS and can see code in their profile
Click on course catalog to browse available courses
Find your course - go through checkout - at the end choose to pay by Training Tokens
Copy and paste your unique code and clicking Apply
- The account will be debited the # of tokens used.
- There will be a Sales Opportunity associated with every transaction
- A redemption receipt & invoice will be created with every token used on an event (you do not have to use these receipts or invoices)
Q: If I am allowed to pay by tokens, can I choose to pay by Credit Card instead?
A: Yes, in fact it will show the price in currency until you get to checkout, you can then select Tokens as your payment method
Q: Does this feature work with our Booking Portal?
A: Yes, it does.
Q: Does this feature work with standard weblink (i.e. not embedded in the LMS/Booking Portal)
A: No, it does not
Q: Why can I not see the Token Balance in my Student Portal profile?
A: Only contacts who have been added in the Add contacts section will be able to see the account balance in the portal
Q: Does this work with Learning Paths?
A: At the moment, this flow only works with Events. We intend to add Learning Path capability. Check in with your CSM or our Support Team to see the progress here.
Article is closed for comments.